Tricks to keep you running even when you're bored out of your mind


Runners who stare straight ahead are more likely to get injured, a study claims. So, how can you distract yourself from the pain and monotony of a long-distance trot?


RUnning: This is a sport that drives us, literally, to distract. On the one hand, we want the benefits, such as endorphins, mental clarity and slender legs. On the other hand, we fight the pain. Because, yes, run sick. Often, quite a lot.

No wonder many of us would rather watch something when we run. A gripping news or classic episode of Friends can help the most unfortunate runner run further on the treadmill. However, according to research from Nottingham Trent University and the University of Valencia, runners look forward - on screen at the gym, for example - contrary to the floor, adjusting their style to lift their bodies and legs higher all the time. stepped

Not only is this a sure way to run more slowly, but it can also cause injury, since your knee and ankle joints are used to absorb shocks caused by falling from higher altitudes.

If TV is a bad idea, then, what can you do to keep your mind entertained as your feet keep moving? Podcasts and audiobooks are a source of obvious disturbance. Some runners use playlists that display the tracks with the same number of beats per minute as the expected speed (Spotify adjusts your speed automatically). Varying your bulge and speed also makes things interesting.


Downloading running apps can help; Most can be set to chime in minutes with updates how fast or far you run it. At a very difficult time, or during a headphone-saving race, I repeat a mantra ("temporary pain") or use mental arithmetic to keep the mind focused but diverted: the remaining time slice into a batch of 10 or five seconds and count segment; Choose a random number and count down to zero in an awkward piece, like seven.

For visual types, using your imagination helps: You can develop detailed scenarios about recording ticker tapes when achieving short or long term goals or juggling post-visit gift images, be it showering, drinking in the pub or just pervasive pervasive feelings.

Here's a Training Tips and Tricks To Stay Strong


Nutrition

Fuel your powerhouse. On my blog, I discuss how Matt and I have altered our pre- and post-run nutrition to enhance our training. However, nutrition also includes proper fueling on our runs. As a sophomore in college, I completed my first marathon with absolutely no nutrition, aside from a few sips of water at aid stations. I remember being shocked when my body, completely depleted, hit the “wall” at mile 20 of that race. I’ve since discovered that it is vital to replenish my energy stores while running. For me, if I’m completing anything longer than 15 miles, I make sure to bring my own water and some Honey Stinger energy chews, my on-the-run nutrition of choice!

Confidence

Keep ALL self-talk positive. Running is just as much a mental sport as it is a physical one. I know that when I keep my self-talk positive (even when I am feeling my worst), I’m already miles ahead. I’ve found that it works for me to repeat a positive phrase or mantra; something as simple as “You got this Steph!” usually does the trick. I also keep in mind that not every run will be great. Some runs are going to stink, and that’s okay. Those horrible runs make the great runs that much better.

Pace

Not every run can (or should) be a fast one. When I first started focusing on speed work, I assumed that the more fast runs I could complete, the better! Slow runs seemed like a waste of time, an indication that I was getting slower. Matt has helped me understand that slow, “junk runs” are just as important as pace-specific runs. I now focus on a target pace for three key workouts: speed, tempo, and long runs. I treat all other runs as “junk mileage,” enabling my body to absorb all of the fitness I am building during my key workouts. Determining your goal pace for key workouts can be a bit tricky. Luckily, there are plenty of free online tools that can help you calculate your ideal pace.


Cross-Training

Incorporate as a form of active recovery. I have trouble taking days completely “off” from any form of physical activity. If I don’t work out, I am bouncing off the walls, with excessive amounts of pent-up energy. Therefore, I’ve found that cross-training, as a form of rest and recovery, works best for me. When training for triathlons, it’s easy for me to naturally build this sort of cross-training into my training schedule. If I’m not triathlon training, I make a concerted effort to dedicate one day a week to cross-training. I typically swim the day after my weekly long runs. If paired correctly with your racing and training needs, cross-training can propel your fitness even further.

Pre- And Post-Run

Warming up, stretching and strength training are essential. This is an element of running that many people overlook. Personally, I ran for years without doing anything before or after my runs. I completed my daily runs, satisfied that I had done all I needed to meet my training and racing goals. My “running only” training plans worked well—or so I thought. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that completing these somewhat tedious tasks pre- and post-run is necessary to stave off potential injuries.

Running Gear

Use gear that works for your specific running needs. I have learned that it is far more important to ensure that the gear I’m wearing supports and enhances my runs instead of obsessing over how I look wearing it. This requires experimenting with different clothing in different running conditions as well. For instance, my go-to sports bra is PERFECT for winter running, but in hot, humid weather, the straps can cause chafing. Figure out what gear works for you, no matter the brand or style, and stick with it. Even though you might not be the trendiest runner on the block, you’ll be much more comfortable, and you’ll be able to actually enjoy your runs!

Races

Choose races that excite and inspire you. Whenever I find myself in a running funk, unmotivated for daily runs and feeling apathetic towards running, it’s generally because I don’t have an upcoming race on the calendar. Though it may seem counter-intuitive, my enthusiasm for running usually returns simply after registering for a race. And I’m not alone in this feeling. I’ve spoken to many of my running friends who experience this same phenomenon. Matt and I have found that we are even more motivated when we have a destination race to look forward to. The anticipation of traveling to a new city and running on a new course adds even more excitement to our training!